Monday, September 17, 2007

The Blind Cow





On August 16th, Jared and I had the opportunity to dine with friends in a most unique atmosphere........TOTAL DARKNESS! We met up with two of Jared's co-workers and their spouses at a restaurant called die Blindekuh---which translates into "The Blind Cow". As you might guess, it is a dining experience unlike any other in that the servers are all blind and the patrons sit, order and eat in a dining room that is completely dark. I do mean......down in a cave never to see the light of day dark; oh-my-gosh-I can't see my hand in front of my face dark; eerily thick, I think I might panic kind of dark. The goal is to give people just a small taste of what it is like to be blind, and I have to say that after 2.5 hours in totally black surroundings, I can't imagine what it would be like to be without my sense of sight. As strange as it was to sit and eat in the dark, it really did give me a more heightened awareness of my other senses.


When we got home I told Jared that I wasn't so sure I could do it again nor was I certain that I could recommend the restaurant to everyone. You have to have the right mindset and be as prepared as possible, and I don't know that I was. I think if I had been there for 10 more minutes I would have started to freak out. The meal was great, the service was outstanding, and the appreciation I gained for my eyesight was well worth it. I guess you could say it was an "eye-opening" experience.

No comments: