Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A new level of maturity


After years of finding "other" things to read, I recently gave in to the urgings of a friend and started reading the Mitford series of books by Jan Karon. I tried to read the first book, At Home in Mitford, when I was in college, but for whatever reason I just could not get into it. Now, 12 years later as a much older and wiser person, I have zoomed through books 1-3 and today will begin book 4.

Having lived a large majority of my life in small towns and having a father who is a pastor, I can't help but laugh at how the Mitford residents are so much like people I know. People we all know. It has been nice to be able to read a book and feel like I am back in the South even when I am so many miles from the southern charms and idiosyncrasies that are so familiar to me......the people and traditions that have molded who I am.

Anyway, if any of you haven't given these books a try, well, you should. I am about to open Out to Canaan right now and see what my friends in Mitford are up to today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss Sadie would be so proud of you. wvs